Friday, May 31, 2013

The question no one wants to ask...

As we started telling people about Ellie and anencephaly I am sure they went and did research like we did. And one thing that seems to stick out is that anencephaly could be caused by a lack of folic acid. Moms-to-be are told they need plenty of folic acid to prevent neural tube defects...which anencephaly is.

Some friends and family members were kind and never even mentioned it to me and others kindly talked their way around trying to find out if I had been taking folic acid. Well to answer your question, yes I was. I had a physical done once Jason and I started talking about wanting to try for a baby. My Dr. told me to start taking prenatal vitamins now and continue until you get pregnant and then through the pregnancy. That is exactly what I did. I was taking prenatal vitamins for 5 months before we found out we were pregnant.

Folic acid is not the end all be all to preventing anencephaly. Our OB reassured us over and over again that we did nothing to cause it, it just happens. Some people think anencephaly is caused by genetics and even environment. The truth is no one really knows what causes it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your doctor. No one really knows.

    I think diet is huge when you are pregnant, baby needs protein and some carbs.

    ReplyDelete